TRIBUTE TO COMME DES GARCONS ♥
When asked about their favorite fashion designer, some would say “Coco Chanel! Because she liberated women from a domineering, masculine society.” others would answer “Alexander McQueen because Lady Gaga wore his awesome shoes.” or “Valentino Garavani, because he made magnificent couture pieces that will last for all eternity.”
A list of designers from Armani to Zac Posen will be named. Hundreds of household labels whose fame was partnered by their trendy, westernized designs.
But who, among thousands of fashion-worshipers can appreciate the aesthetics of the shy, non-smiling, black-wearing Japanese genius who defied all the norms in fashion and pushed every sartorial and creative button to achieve the greatness of her label, COMME des GARCONS?
Born in October 1942 in Tokyo, Rei Kawakubo studied Literature and Fine Arts in College (OMG! Im a Literature and Media student way back in College) Despite being an untrained designer, Kawakubo is an unmatched Genius in the fashion world.
Her collections recieved standing ovations and positive responce from the admiring fashion crowds around the world. In the 1980s, a cult following called as “crows” emerged. They were Comme des Garcons-worshipping people who donned drop crotch pants, asymmetrical shirts, and layered, uneven dresses who showed the world the beauty of being different.
Unlike other designers who chose supermodels and hollywood actors as brand ambassadors, Rei Kawakubo’s chose two iconic symbols to represent her brand. The polka dot and the heart with insect-eyes which are both synonymous to the label.
However, her unparalleled creativity is sometimes ignored by others. Stereotyping Comme-wearing people as weirdos, goths, eccentrics, fashion-disasters, etc. Some people are just ignorant enough to see the magic in every Comme piece. They are blind enough to see that Comme pieces are greater works of art in comparison to some creations from the top Ateliers in Paris.
People say Comme is all about eccentricity, but isnt eccentricity a form of pure art??
“Comme des Garçons can never, by its nature, appeal to everyone. It would be the end of CDG if it ever did. We have to maintain the paradox of creation [that will never] be understood by everyone, and yet through its indirect power, we are able to continue.”
Here are some of the awesome Comme-wearing people and their wonderful words for Rei Kawakubo:
Rei Kawakubo will always be my Fashion-Saint. Only her collections can give me shivers and transport me into heights of un-explainable fashion bliss. I will love her forever, my role model, my prime icon in life. She will always have a special spot in my polka-dotted heart. ♥ ♥ ♥
54 Notes/ Hide
- goinhome likes this
- kmercedes likes this
- coco-lagerfeld reblogged this from gagafevah
- thisboyisamonster likes this
- bibiamn likes this
- jasmineflynn likes this
- a-pple-pi-e reblogged this from coco-lagerfeld
- thecoliseum likes this
- undaunted-pilgrimages likes this
- jediwanab likes this
- blessandcurse likes this
- this-is-scene reblogged this from coco-lagerfeld
- lickmycat likes this
- b-3rie likes this
- insyberia likes this
- iamreadytowear likes this
- reisuschrist likes this
- kabrona reblogged this from coco-lagerfeld
- osmlikethis likes this
- fashnoi likes this
- poorlittlrichgirl reblogged this from thefashionigma
- thefashionigma reblogged this from coco-lagerfeld
- iwillbecomethemountainrange reblogged this from coco-lagerfeld
- derneueich reblogged this from coco-lagerfeld
- gagafevah reblogged this from coco-lagerfeld
- so--chanel likes this
- glamourdistrict likes this
- mavharnois likes this
- ayobyayokeys likes this
- couture-crush reblogged this from coco-lagerfeld
- thecuriouscaseofjulianorteguia likes this
- sartorial-egocentrism likes this
- team-supermodels reblogged this from coco-lagerfeld
- team-supermodels likes this
- fyeahalexandermcqueen likes this
- gagafevah likes this
- vogueforever said:love Comme!
- vogueforever likes this